Friday, March 16, 2012

What am I even doing?

-Is this even useful?

I like said in my First! post, The Forge Flyer and Towson Patch are both quite prolific, so I doubt I can come close to the overall information that those two present. I can, however, be a laser focused on a certain subject. I can also set things up in a different way.

Personal confession: I am a recovering Internet junkie. During college, I used to roll out of bed into my desk chair and perhaps stay there the whole day until giving in to sleep, breaking only for the essentials (note: going to class didn't always make the essentials list). I couldn't stand to be away from some certain message forums for more than the length of class, and this was well before we were carrying around little computers in our pockets.

I've come a long way from there. I still even own a domain to a forum and regularly post there, but I'm not addicted like I was before. I've also done what I can to minimize the time it takes me to consume my internets. Most of this is thanks to RSS feeds. Simply put, RSS is a way to let the internet come to you. Once subscribed, new posts in a blog or news site get sent to a queue in an RSS feed reader. Instead of going to the website to see what's new, what's new comes to you, and you can quickly glance through what might be interesting. It's an ever-expanding checklist where you can look into something more in depth, save it for later, or check it off your list forever. You can use RSS to subscribe to blogs, news sites, and many other things that update periodically, like Youtube channels and podcasts. Instead of repeatedly going to a website to see if anything is new, and inevitably wasting your time when you see there are no updates, you let what's new come to you. And, it stays away from your email inbox, letting you save that for important stuff.

This is why Towson Patch isn't much use to me; I've searched and found no RSS feed there. And, no offense to whoever runs it, because it seems like it gets plenty of traffic, but it's not something I can use.

The Forge Flyer, on the other hand, I expect to continue to subscribe to. I can't say I have much use for posts about Meatless Mondays, but the grand majority of it I find potentially useful. That kind of general news blog is something even Howard County lacks.

So, a local food blog. Like I've said, HowChow has really led the way for me. Local restaurants, bars, food markets, bakeries, and where ever else locally you can find material to shove in your face. Towson may indeed be too small of an area, but I would definitely want to at least branch as far as Lutherville-Timonium, if for no other reason to give my high marks to The Still. I also expect to make the occasional shout out to my favorite places in Howard County.

No comments:

Post a Comment