Wednesday, March 14, 2012

First!

Wow, this blog title is a complete and shameless rip-off of HowChow. If I can't find a better title, I'll have to see if whoever runs HowChow will think it a complement, or at least won't send me a cease and desist letter.

After living in Ellicott City for 5 years, my wife and I are moving to Towson. This comes with a mixed bag of feelings. I love many things about Howard County, but between the rising cost of rent in Howard and an offer to relocate my job, complete with relocation expenses and a hefty promotion, moving to Towson seems like the right thing to do. We're no strangers to the Towson area, with some of my wife's close friends graduating from TU. We're also excited to live close enough to Towson downtown to walk to all of the bars and restaurants, not to mention other stores. It has been years ago now, but when we lived on old Ellicott City's historic Main Street, we loved being able to walk to (and stumble home from) that street's attractions. And, while I'm not prone to superstition, the fact that my best friend's parents used to live 2 miles away from our new place just feels right.

In brief, I expect to have a great time in Towson, but, if we ever manage to be able to afford to do so, and if our work locations allow it, I expect we'll move back to Howard County in a heartbeat. That said, we signed up for a 2 year lease.

Now that all that is out of the way, there are a few things I need to consider before really taking the plunge on hosting a blog:

-Can I manage to not get myself in trouble and avoid negative and scathing reviews?
-Is a Towson food blog too specific? Or would a general Towson blog be too dilute? I'd definitely want to change the name of this if it wasn't just about food. On the other hand, you'd think that, for this blog to pick up any sort of popularity, it would have to be focused somehow. HowChow is a great resource, because people in Howard see it as the go-to source for eating in the area.
-Is this even useful? The Forge Flyer and Towson Patch are both rather prolific, but is there some way I wish to be different?
-Can I even keep up with the demand?
-Will I even be eating out and going out enough locally to qualify me for writing on the area?
-Is Towson a big enough area to blog about? HowChow's subject is a whole county.
-Am I really willing to sink the time into this place to make it look presentable?

My justification is that my wife and I expect to be going out plenty, and there aren't the kind of Towson blogs that I'm used to having in Howard County. If I can spend a little time writing about my experiences, it may be useful to someone and might be fun for myself. So, over the next month, as we're prepping to move, I'll try to answer these questions for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment